7/24/2009

My Treasured Pink Depression Glass

*
It's Pink Saturday!!!
*
Hello my friends...it's Pink Saturday!!!
*
Pink Saturday is hosted by our very own Beverly over at How Sweet The Sound. Please go and visit Beverly today and see what pretty pinkness that she has in store for us and while you're there you can visit all of the other Pink Saturday participants!

Thank you, Beverly...for hosting Pink Saturday! You have made our little world so much prettier with all that beautiful pink!!!


A Special Pink Saturday Post Today!

Today is a special Pink Saturday post for me...in fact, today I am celebrating the gift that God gave to me...my Grandma!!! My Grandma was my "safe haven" while I was growing up...she was always there for me...no matter what...with that unconditional love that carried me through some rough times! She loved the Lord with all of her heart and truly was a saint of God!!! She was the most gentle, loving, and patient person that I have ever known...and I have always looked up to her as my example! I have always said that if I could be like anyone in this world...it would be my Grandma!!! She went on to be with the Lord last year....she was 92 years old! I miss her terribly but I know that I have the Lord's promise that I will see her again someday!!!
*
Last month we took a family vacation to Texas and while we were there my Mama gave me my Grandma's china hutch...I was able to bring it back to Colorado with me. I was so pleased and so very happy! It just means the world to me to have something that belonged to my Grandma! My Mama also gave me my Grandma's pink Depression Glass that she had bought during the Depression years...there are several really pretty pieces and again...I was just elated for this precious gift!!! *
*
So today...for Pink Saturday...I would like to share with you my pink Depression Glass that belonged to my dear, sweet Grandma!!!
* 
My Treasured Pink Depression Glass...


Oooohhhh...so pretty and pink!!!
*
I think everyone knows what Depression Glass is...it was glassware that was made during the years of the U.S. Great Depression! It comes in several colors...clear, green, amber, and pink (there may be a few other colors that I'm not aware of). *
*
What I didn't know....
*
is that there are several different patterns of the pink Depression Glass. I have several pieces with three different patterns!

*
Mayfair Pink "Open Rose" Depression Glass
*
 
Five - 9oz. flat tumblers and a 13 in. under platter.
*
This pretty pattern is called Mayfair Pink "Open Rose". This Depression glass was made by Anchor Hocking 1931 - 1937.
*

Besides the sentimental value of these pretty pieces...I feel very fortunate to have the tumblers! I checked with China at Replacements Ltd. and these little beauties sell for $53.99 each! Wowzer!!!
*

A close up...Ooooh...isn't this a pretty pattern with the all the beautiful roses?
*
*

Oval vegetable bowl (11 1/8")
*
*

A footed open sugar bowl...
*
*

*
A good close up for you to see this pretty Mayfair Pink "Open Rose" pattern!
*

A candy dish...
*
Ohhhh...wait...there's more!!!
*
A 13 in. oval platter...
*
This is a different pattern of the pink Depression Glass.
 This pattern is called "American Sweetheart".
*
The "American Sweetheart" Pink Depression Glass was made by Macbeth-Evans in 1930-1936.
*

A 12 in. salver plate...
*
*

A close up of the American Sweetheart pattern.
*
I think this may be my favorite pattern...I just love the beautiful scrolly design!!!
*

*
This beautiful pink Depression Glass platter came from my husband's side of the family! The pattern is called "Old Colony Lace"!
*

Just a pretty-n-pink photo!!!
*
*

My dear, sweet Grandma and me....
*
This photo was taken at my Grandma's 90th birthday party...two years before she went to be with the Lord! Isn't she a beautiful lady?
*
Now...I have to tell you a funny story...or maybe it's not so funny! My Grandma kept all of these beautiful pink Depression glass pieces down in her and Grandpa's basement. I remember them well!!! You see...when my sister and I were little girls...Grandma would let us play house with this set of dishes! OMG...yes, it's absolutely true!!! Hard telling how many pieces that my sister broke (you noticed that I did not include myself in that...hehe!) I know that I couldn't have been any older than 5 and my sister was 3! Eeeekkkksss!!!
*
Can you believe it???
*
Anyways....thank you, Grandma...for my beautiful pink Depression Glass dishes!!! I love them and will always cherish them!!! I think of you every time I see them!!!
*
*
Well my friends...thank you so much for coming by today! Please leave me a comment and let me know that you were here...I would love to visit with you!!!
*
Love ya'll,
Chari

26 comments:

Melissa Miller said...

Oh Chari how sweet! I have tears in my eyes for you and your sweet Grandma. What an adorable photo!

The pink depression glass dishes are so beautiful and elegant. What a true treasure to cherish.

Hope all is going well my friend.
Have a wonderfully blessed weekend.
~Enjoy! ~Melissa :)

xinex said...

Hi Chari! Your pink depression glasses are so pretty, so dainty and so precious especially because they came from your grandma. I can imagine how swweet your grandma was cause I think you got your sweetness from her...Christine

Stacey said...

Oh so pretty. I think it's great that your grandmother let you play with them. She knew the secret that pretty things should be enjoyed. :)

Theresa said...

Beautiful dishes, beautiful memories of your childhood with them and OH What a beautiful Grandma! Sweet post! Have a blessed day!

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

What a lovely photo of you and your grandmother!!!

The depression glass is gorgeous!!! One of my favorites!!! What a wonderful treasure!!!

Have a wonderful weekend!!!
XOXO
cathy

Joyce said...

How wonderful you can see these beautiful depression pieces to remind you of your sweet grandmother.
Joyce

Lynn said...

Lovely post! It makes me want to share my Mimi!
Those are some great treasures you have there!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Oh Chari,
That is truly a special story and I just love all the wonderful pieces you have! What a darling pic of you and your beloved Grandmother. That beautiful platter and oh those tumblers, I would love to have tumblers like that! What a neat and unselfish Grandma that let you and your sister play with the dishes! She must have loved you two so much! I hope you have a wonderful week-end my friend, we're just kind of hanging out and getting chores done. Hugs, Cindy

Unknown said...

I wish I knew more about Depression glass. I have a punch bowl with tray adn stand, plus 24 cups tha my mom left me...and dessert plates. Plus, I have some random pieces that I have from grandmothers...one is a pink relish plate, one a green lemon squeezer....more in the cabinet. Maybe one of these days...I wish I had learned about them sooner. Love your "pink."

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Chari, I am so happy for you! Happy that you had such a wonderful grandmother and happy that you have her beautiful Depression Glass, and happy that "your sister" didn't break it all! I cannot believe that ya'll played with that and any of it survived! But what gorgeous pieces survived, and what a wonderful treasure for you to keep. I look forward to a lovely tablescape with these treasures. laurie

Embellished Bayou said...

Oh, I just love depression glass and the pink color is so pretty, thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Such a sweet story about your Grandmother, Chari! Your pink depression glass collection is so pretty and such a lovely gift from your Grandmother! I love that you played with those as a little girl! Too precious!

Have a lovely Pink Saturday!

Tina

Dixie said...

Grandma's pink depression glass made my little ole' Texas heart go pitter-patter! Pink depression is my favorite... I only have a few pieces but none as special as those gifted to you from you sweet grandmother... cherish them always... and enjoy them too... my grandma always said..."those pretty dishes are meant to be used"... and so I do...

see you tomorrow for Sunday Favs! already got my post ready!

many hugs from TX...

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Chari, you and your Grandma are absolutely beautiful girl. My only childhood memories growing was time spent at my grandmas house.. She didn't play with us or do anything special, she was just her.. special.. kind and caring. Man alive she could make the best mashed potates and cherry pies.. lol.. If only I could go back.. those days I cherish as if they were spun gold... Your pink depression glass is absolutely beautiful...what a treasure..
Happy Pink Saturday darling..
hugs ~lynne~

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Chari!
You brought tears to my eyes and gave me goosebumps as I read about the treasures of your Grandma that were given to you. The pieces are beautiful. Just beautiful. What a wonderful gift of love that will keep on giving for generations to come. You didn't show your china cabinet/hutch tho, maybe another post? I just love the story. My Grandma passed on to be with the Lord and her and Grandad had no will, so in the state of OK. then everything is auctioned off. I have not one little thing that belonged to my Grandma. She had so many beautiful things she would have given me if I had only asked, but I could not bring myself to go to the auction and watch their life being sold away. I just couldn't. It was the saddest day in my life. So Dearheart I treasure this wonderful gift for you. Happy Pink Saturday and thank you for sharing this post. I have signed up to follow your blog. I have got see a post on that china cabinet/hutch. Please stop by and visit. I would love to have you follow my blog as well. Country Hugs, Sherry

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh Chari, I just love the photo of you and your grandma. What a special tribute to her. I love all the wonderful pink depression glass, I know they are such special treasures. The patterns are so pretty. I love them all. Thanks for sharing such a loving story. Hugs, Marty

ItaJeff said...

Wonderful treasures.
Happy PS
♥Ita

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Oh Chari, You do know how to bring tears to my old eyes early in the morning....I loved reading about your Grandma and how special you now have her wonderful PINKness around you every day...Wonderful post my dear friend...I'll miss you while I'm gone...I wished I could just go and be home by night time ha ha!! I hate being away from my home...it's so funny I want to go...but want my own bed my night ha ha!! I hope I can make it without my panic attacks taking over on me ha ha!!May you have a wonderful week my sweet friend...Love ya lots sis....Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Sue said...

Chari, I am glad that you have something belonging to your grandmother that both reminds you of her and that gives you such pleasure! They are all beautiful.
:-) Sue

Claudia said...

What a beautiful inheritance from your Grandmother! Just gorgeous and precious, too. Happy Pink Saturday!

Tootsie said...

it is all just adorable!!! especially the photo of you and your grandma! I love the glass...but the memories that come with it are much more precious than anything!

Cass @ That Old House said...

I love the depression glass --it is to pretty and sweet - - but even better is the picture of you with your grandmother.

What a wonderful woman ... especially because she let you play with the dishes!

Lovely post... thanks! Cass

Unknown said...

Love your glassware, especially the American Sweetheart pattern. You did a great job taking the pictures. I still haven't shared mine because the pictures keep coming out all washed out. You definitely deserved these remaining dishes after your sister broke the others! hehehe

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

What a great gift. I love pink depression glass. I don't own any, but I love it. When I was first out of high school I worked cleaning houses for other woman. One woman I worked for had a huge collection of depression glass. I love it! Except for the fact I had to dust it each week. That I hated. But I used to love looking at her collection & wished that they were mine. You are lucky to have such a beautiful collection now. And even better that it belonged to your sweet Grandma. What a treasure. Enjoy your dishes & maybe someday I'll come to your house & dust yours. lol.

♥Mimi♥ said...

Cold, dark, misty in my neck of the woods. My perennials are hiding and I am wearing a sweatshirt. Coming here today made my day a little brighter. Thanks so much.

I'm a little late with my Pink Saturday visits because I had my grandsons for the weekend and couldn't tear myself away from them☺

♥Wishing you and yours a week full of happiness♥

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

Chari.. what a great collection! love the glasses! so pretty!