8/01/2010

A Blue Cottage Veranda...

*
*
Hello my friends...I hope you're having a fabulous day!
*
I do believe that the "dog days of summer" are here!
 It's been pretty quiet this past week and I'm feeling sooo lazy!
  We have been experiencing some really hot temperatures here in
 Colorful Colorado. The great thing about Colorado climate is...that even
 though it may get into the 90's during the day...it always cools down to the
 60's in the evenings. Just perfect for sitting outside and enjoying
 the evening!
*
*Which brings me to my latest project...
**
Our poor little patio/veranda was in such disrepair after this
 last winter. Since we were having out of town guests coming in July,
 I decided it was time for our little veranda to get a facelift! Hehe! Now...
 I don't have any "before" photos. Shoot, I wasn't even thinking about taking
 "before and after" photos to show this sweet metamorphosis...I do apologize!
 However, if you can just imagine...dirty, worn and torn, with absolutely
 no appeal...then you get the picture!
*
**
A Brand New Table for the Veranda...
*
*
This table is what started the entire veranda makeover!
*
Honey and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary June 4th.
 We planned a day trip to Denver and honey took me to Home Goods.
  My very first time to go! We found this sweet blue cottagey table
 and a matching end table...for just $69!
*
Sooo...the planning, scheming, and decorating began...
*
*
For those of you who follow Happy To Design...you may
 remember a post that I did June 25th. I stated that I was in the
 middle of a summer "mystery" project...shared just a couple
 of photos...and asked if you could figure out what I was doing!
*
The photo mosaic above is compiled with the photos from that post.
 If you would like to see that post...you can just click HERE.
*
*
Our Newly Remodeled...Blue Cottage Veranda
*
 
*
Our veranda is fairly small. The covered area is about 10'x10'...
however we have concrete that stretches beyond the covered area so
 it feels a bit larger. It's difficult to see here but our home has a light gray
 siding with a blue metal roof...so a "blue" cottage veranda is perfect!
*
I would love to add an outdoor rug...the concrete isn't very pretty,
 however it probably isn't very feasible considering our veranda is open
 on two sides to the weather. Hmmm...maybe I should paint or stain
 the concrete? Yet another project for another day! Hehe!
*
*
*The Swing...
*
*
I just love our "two-seater" swing! Honey and I have spent
 many a day enjoying the outdoors on this little swing!
*
A New Quilt
*
Believe me...the cushions and covering over the swing had seen
 its better days. Instead of taking the entire swing apart to recover the
 cushions, I decided to make a quilt that would cover the cushions. I liked this
 idea because I can bring the quilt inside when we aren't using the veranda.
*
Fabric Needed...
*
Ohhh boy...I was going to need quite a bit of fabric to carry out
 my plans! I wanted to sew a quilt, make a new cover for the swing, and
 recover the chairs that we would use with our new table.
*
Soooo...I bought sheets!
*
Yep, I did! I found the sheets at Walmart! I purchased two sheet
 sets; 1 twin set and 1 full size set. I was immediately drawn to these pretty
 sheets. Walmart has color coordinating sets. The twin set had the prettiest blue
 and sage green paisley pattern and the full set was done in the exact same
 coordinating colors but with a small floral pattern. They would be
 perfect for my veranda makeover!
*
*
*
I used the paisley fabric on the front side of the quilt and the
 coordinating small floral print on the back side. The quilt is nothing
 fancy...it's just a "tie" quilt but it turned out just as I had planned!
 It covers the swing cushions perfectly!
*
*
*
Swing Cover...
*
Here is a photo of the swing cover. I took off the ratty, old
 exsisting cover and used it for a pattern to sew a new cover out of the
 small floral print. You can see the old swing cover on my dining room table
 in the photo mosaic above. I'm tellin' ya...the fabric from the sheets worked
 sooo well! I forgot to mention that I only paid $15 for the twin set of
 sheets and $22 for the full set! That is alot of fabric for just $37!
*
*
**
New Pillows...
*
Of course I had to have pillows for the swing!  I used the
 two pillowcases from the small floral set to make the pillows! I
 actually have a real pretty embroidered, blue floral trim to add to these
 pillows...that I still need to sew on! I think the pillows turned out nice
 and now I can take a little nap out on the swing! wink!
*
*
*
Even the chairs got a facelift!
**
These little chairs were made in 1955! How do I know...you ask?
 Because the date was stamped underneath the seats. The metal was black
 and the seats had a red vinyl material on them...they also had
 seen their better days!
*
*
*
Honey spray painted the chairs white! Already such an improvement!
  I used the paisley to cover the seats of the chairs...love it!!!
*
Cottagey Chair Slips...
*
The backs of the chairs have metal rungs...not very dressy...or
 very cottagey! Sooo...I decided to sew chair slips! I used the paisley
 for the body of the slips and the small floral print for the ruffle!
*
 I just love, love, LOVE how these turned out!
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
A Cottage Veranda Vignette
*
*
This is the matching end table to our new cottage table set!
 I really do love this beautiful shade of blue!!!
*
*
A Cottage Veranda Vignette...
*
A few potted flowers sit atop a couple of old milk cans!
 Honey spray painted the milk cans white while he was doing the
 chairs. You should have seen what they looked like before....picture
 all black with big ol' orange and yellow mushrooms painted on them!
 Honey said that his brother decorated them during the
 1970's! Go figure! Hehe!
*
I love the old crock planter/pot with the faded tulips painted on
 the front. We found this old crock planter in the basement of honey's
 Dad's home when we were cleaning. It's no telling how old it may be! We
 also found the old white enamelware coffee pot in that same
 basement. I love the red trim!
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
I added a pretty white oval bowl filled with a few
 green apples to the end table.
**
I found this pretty retriculated bowl at TJ Maxx for just $9.99.
 I wove a green and blue floral ribbon through the cut-outs....sooo pretty!
*
*
A View from the Veranda....
*
*
And....this is what you see when you're sitting on the swing!
*
We live in the country! There is a big open field behind our home!
*
*
*
*
*
*
Voila...there you have it! A blue cottage veranda!!!*
*
*
*
I had some fun making this mosaic! I used Photobucket's "color sketch" effect!
*
Well my friends...I'm sooo glad that you came by
 today! I hope you enjoyed the little tour around our veranda!
*
*
I am joining in with these lovely parties today...
**



*


Table Top Tuesday...hosted by Marty over at A Stroll Thru Life.
*
*A special thank you to Sally, Susan, Cielo, and Marty...for hosting
 these fabulous parties! Please go over and see what these sweet ladies
 have prepared for us today and while you are there...you can check
 out all of the other party participants!
*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*
Well my friends....thank you soooo much for coming by and visiting!
 Please leave me a comment and let me know that you were here.
  I would love to visit back with you!!!
*
Have a fabulous week!
*

38 comments:

Lynn said...

Blue and paisley, how pretty!!! I love your view too, very relaxing-enjoy!
If you'd like to stop by I'm having a give away!

Stacey said...

Chari, it just doesn't get any prettier than that. I love the blue and all the pieces you made are lovely. So glad you found that adorable table to sit at and enjoy the view. :)

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hey Girl,
You really know how to create a setting! This post is fabulous!
I just love how you staged it all, just like a magazine spread! And you are so clever and talented to have come up with the sheets idea! It looks so good, and I feel honored that I got to enjoy your company on that gorgeous patio!
Chari, that photobucket pics you created are amazing!! I looked at several award winning photos this past weekend at the fair, but you could whoop them all! Your photo skills are just super!
Thanks for coming by and leaving your sweet comments. Now start planning your trip to Wisconsin.
hehe. Ok, no pressure.
Big Hugs,
Cindy

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

OMG Sis this is just beautiful what you did...Love the painted milk cans of course I would ha ha!! the swing looks so inviting girl I bet you and Cinday had fun swinging and talking and drinking sweet tea out here...It's just beautiful my friend...Thanks for the birthday wishes and girl your friendship is the best birthday present by far...Love ya Sis...Gl♥ria

Theresa said...

WOW Chari, gorgeous table, chairs and swing redecorated! Great job on your handywork:) Love the view from the veranda! One of these days perhaps I can sit on that swing with you:)

Enjoy your evening my friend! HUGS!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful transformation! I love the fabrics you choose. Your yard looks so inviting!

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Chari, This is a beautiful transformation. I do love that blue of the tables. And you are very clever to make the seat covers and the swing awning! Sheets are great because they are so wide--less seams! And the photoshop technique makes your porch look like art! I am following you now, but have been reading you for a few months. Very nice job--I am sure you will have many happy hours out there! Linda

The Quintessential Magpie said...

You have been a busy girl, and it's so pretty! Love the blue!

XO,

Sheila :-)

podso said...

Wow, love your little collage at the end! And all the colors. Your patio make over is lovely. We could never do this in the south--have something so crisp and clean looking outdoors--too much mold, mildew, rain, etc. Seems like you can do that more out west. HAve a great week!

Carrie said...

Your cottagey makeover is just delightful...what a wonderful place to sit and have a cup of tea and read the latest magazine!

Marilyn said...

Those chair covers are the CUTEST thing I've seen for summer!! Everything looks so fresh and cool. Hope you get to spend lots of time out there enjoying our Colorado summertime. After all, you can dream up more ideas while you swing.♥♫

Vicki said...

So pretty...great transformation. I have one of those swings and my canopy was pitiful too but when I took it off it tore so I have no pattern. Your turned out great and love those cute tables.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Chari, Your blue veranda is just the perfect spot to have a cozy dinner and swing the evening away!

Kudos to you for the fabulous job! Each element is so perfectly thought out and executed!
My very, very favorite are your darling ruffled chair covers. They make such a fun and flirty statement!
And what a clever girl to make your quilt out of sheets! I think that is brilliant.

I would love to visit and swing. We would certainly talk about your wonderul sewing skills!
So much fun to stop!
xo Yvonne

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

What a beautiful veranda and view. Love all the blues and your vignette. Really love the sketch done with photobucket! How pretty!

Very nice!

heather

SmilingSally said...

What a charming blue veranda you have.
I love the idea of using sheets.

Happy Blue Monday, Chari.

CIELO said...

Such pretty and cozy place.... Awesome job! Thanks for participating in "Show Off Your Cottage Monday" and letting us into your lovely home...

cielo

Susan Freeman said...

I love that shade of blue. Great and economical way to use sheets too!!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Marie said...

Hi Chari - You did an absolutely amazing transformation in your blue veranda! I love how you personalized the swing with your own fabrics (which I've been wanting to do just don't know how to get started), and the chair slipcovers are to die for! Luv the ruffles...so adorable. Stopping by from Blue Monday and SOYCM.
-marie

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...

You did a marvelous job. Your veranda is beautiful. So cool and refreshing looking. Thanks for sharing.

niartist said...

chari - it's gorgeous! inspirational and beautiful, the perfect patio! :)

Kim, USA said...

It's very gorgeous! I love the white and blue color just awesome! Happy Monday!

Blueberry Lane

Unknown said...

A fantastic patio! Everything is so beautiful, love the fabric!

Congratulations for your great and pretty work!

Hugs
Charo

Lynn said...

Chari, I am so impressed with your veranda make-over! It should be in a magazine! Really!!
And what a great idea to use the sheets. They are perfect!
I once covered a wall in an apartment with a sheet when we were first married--and young--and poor. The one sheet took three months of my household budget.
Now I am inspired.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Chari, I love your new blue table and the seat covers are adorable. You have been busy and it is quite a transformation.
Hugs, Sherry

joyh82 said...

Beautiful, love your Cottage Veranda Vignette. That little table with the pretty chairs is really neat. Your yard is huge! Happy Blue Monday and Have a great week!

Heaven's Walk said...

Hi Chari! Happy Met Monday! What a pretty little patio you have! You've created a wonderfully cozy and inviting place to share a glass of iced tea and gaze out to your beautiful meadow beyond. Your creative sewing left me ooohing and ahhing for sure! Very very pretty!

xoxo laurie@heavens-walk

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my Chari, I love your pretty new veranda. The swing is wonderful and the covers are fabulous. The chairs turned out so pretty and I would never have thought to put the slips on the backs. That is so clever and all the plants look so pretty too. Such a beautiful view out the back. We just look at a small yard and then a big huge block wall. Not very pretty at all. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Sue said...

Chari, You have worked magic on this patio! It's always so much less expensive to use sheets, and your choice of the paisley and its companion print is so cute. I like that you covered the chair backs, too- it looks so much more complete.
I miss the cool evenings that you enjoy out west. I grew up in New Mexico and I also worked at a guest ranch in Creede one summer when I was in college. I KNOW what it is to enjoy a clear, crisp night with thousands of stars shining down on me. :-)
Enjoy that great patio, my friend- it looks so nice!
hugs, Sue

Rachel said...

You left no stone unturned! Bravo... every detail! The swing awning, the chain slip covers! Wow! I bet your guests didn't want to leave!

Kathy said...

Hello! The sheet set for a quilt was a great idea. My brother-in-law asked me to make new seat covers for his swing. Looks just like yours! I like your idea much better!
The coordinating of the patterns works great! You can't beat that price.
Just loved everything. Happy enjoying your veranda - your guests must have loved it!
Kathy

Beth said...

What a beautiful veranda! I love the slipcovers you made for the chairs. What a cute little table and what a nice view - a peaceful place to sit and have a glass of iced tea with your sweetie. I remembered you had gone to Home Goods and wondered if you'd found anything. You did well, Chari!
Hugs, Beth

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Wow, you have been super busy! I really like how the blue cottage veranda turned out - just lovely! Beautiful photography as well!

Thanks for sharing with us, and thanks for your comments, they are always so sweet and encouraging!

Katherine

Beth said...

Chari, Thanks for your visit! I'm glad you are having a good summer including visits from family and friends! I recently met a blogging friend, too - Larry from Conrad Art Glass and Gardens - and his wife, Sarah. We had a wonderful time visiting and seeing his fantastic garden! You asked about an ice cream maker. Mine is a Cuisinart and no ice, no hand-cranking. It has a gel filled bowl which you put in the freezer and for 24 hours ahead (or keep it in the freezer). It's electric and you simply pour your ice cream mix into the gel bowl and plug it in - SUPER EASY!!! Love you, sweet lady! Beth

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Chari, I just love those colors - so pretty and fresh. That's probably my fav shade of blue - refreshing! You know, Traci at Beneath My Heart painted her concrete to look like tile - it's fantastic and cheap! Linda

GardenOfDaisies said...

I really love your blue table!!! And the chair slipcovers add such charm! I really like the way you were able to change the photos to look like sketches in photobucket ... I should check into it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chari, You are the sweetest friend!! Thanks so much for the sweet comment you left me.Your veranda is oh so charming.I love your slips,and the table is gorgeous.Everything looks so pretty....Kathy

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Everything looks so charming. You did a fantastic job! Great bargain hunting on your fabric too. Very impressive and so sweet.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love the fabrics you chose, Chari! The chairs look so sweet with their covers!